Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quit Being So Emo!

That's what she said to me, my too emo 14 year old. Okay, I thought, I am EMO - short for emotional. Yep. But I couldn't help but to wonder when did having emotions become a problem. Oh wait! There has ALWAYS been a problem with humans and emotions. Human history is riddled with the problem.

It seems like a pop-culture million best seller. The History of Emotions, doesn't it?

Where to begin? Ancient Greece - Agamemnon is murdered by his wife Clytemnestra, supported by her brother-in-law. She was furious because his asinine ways included sacrificing her daughter to improve the directs of the winds (seriously) and bringing home is new girlfriend (Cassandra) EMO You are darn tooting. Or just plain angry. Kill him.

She did.

Rome: Nero, Caligula. How about Marc Antony (Richard Burton) and that thang he had for Liz Taylor or Cleopatra (three times, if you think about it.)

Ancient Israel: God and Adam, God and Noah, God and Abraham. I could go on...

Searching for calm periods. The Dark ages? No, everyone was depressed and MOAs had not been invented. Inquisition? Rage was all the rage. Renaissance? Hot, hot, HOT with emotion. Enlightenment? Well, cool "reason" made its attempts only to be plagued by suppressed rage of the likes of the Puritans. Heads rolled, etc. Victorians? A regular hotbed of suppressed and expressed emotions - Heathcliff, porn.

So we come to era and know that EMO has always been in. I feel so fashionable.

DAYS TO 50: 420.

No comments:

Post a Comment