I am a very lucky women. Teenage girls/women invite me to tea parties, I can only suppose, because they like me. When you are my age, that means quite a bit.
Background: My dear friend Kenny (a girl, now 19) is home from Oberlin. Moreover, Kenny is test-driving the idea of being an elementary school teacher, so she is volunteering in my class. It feels like the old days. Me, supposed master teacher. Kenny, young apprentice. This, actually, would be an ideal method of training new teachers, but that will be another blog......
Background II: The Tea Party. Kenny had decided to have a tea party for her birthday. The invitation list included myself, 3 other "moms" and ten college girls.
I arrived a bit after four only to find friends Margo and Lynn dressed in their 1988 wedding cloths, lovely, tasty things spread on beautiful plates, and various tea pots full of Earl Grey, Vanilla Camomille, and some rather brash zinger tea. Surrounding the living coffee table, several beautifully clad young ladies, and the birthday girl. Lynn tried to play the waiter, droll, ridiculous. Margo flitted and gave us a good laugh when she sat and revealed cream colored knee-highs rather than stockings. (Margo is more likely to be seen sporting a tool belt than a tea tray!) We talked about college - theirs, ours. Girls who only knew of each other via Kenny shared secrets, laughs. We drank loads of leafy brew, ate lots of elegant tidbits and had a really swell time.
I felt as if I made some new acquaintances amongst the young ones, but I also again reveled in the communal success story. How nice, intelligent, spirited, well-mannered, kind.
I do not know many of their families. I likely never will. However, to the universe. Well done!
DAYS TO 50: 423.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment