Mother-in-Law.
The very phrase has every dreadful connotation in film and literature. Someone who meddles. Someone who somehow seems less clever. Mother-in-law is something I both dread becoming and want to be. In ten years, or so. However, it is a term and idea that fails to enchant. I am certain my mother-in-law did not seek this status other than the thorny fact that no in-law, no grandkids. new blood good. New blood scary.
Happy birthday Barbara. You are an amazing example of how wrong that connotation is. My mother-in-law does not meddle; she aids. My mother-in-law is one of the smartest people I know (thus my clever husband and children.) New blood and extended family produce vigor. Thank God my life is lousy with people who prove stereotypes are ridiculous. There is much more to say, but work must be gotten to.
As I approach the this Jubilee Year, I am seeing the new roles in front of me, frightening, soothing. Nevertheless, they are approaching me.
DAYS TO 50: 432
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my goodness....I just saw this. Thank you my dear. (And notice, it's kind of easy to be easy with you!!)
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's that old Chinese blessing:
ReplyDelete"May you have a mother-in-law like Barbara Gold."