Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Nightmares: an Allegory

I had a nightmare last night that I faced my death - literally. I sat on a stool next to an enormous table of heads, and only heads, screaming at me.

"There are four, FOUR typographical errors!"

"You're late."

"Don't scratch therein public!"

"I am done with my responsibility to you. I will do what I want and I don't care how you feel about it."

"You should do that."

"Get out of the way, you stupid cunt!"

"I didn't give you permission to read that."

"You got a C+."

"I am deeply disappointed in you."

My tears made the heads grow, their grotesque features twisting and bulging. I recognized some. Not others. I dried my tears and panicked. I tried push them with my hand, with my words. I saw my father, front and center. My mother was there, small and to the corner. Police officers. My children, not large, but there all the same. A guy I accidently cut off on the highway. Old teachers. Sales clerks. My husband, in the way back. Not prominent, still.... Me, center of the dias. Then I screamed in my mind: stop.

DAYS to 50: 434.

No comments:

Post a Comment